Wednesday, 12 June 2013

Riot at University of Uyo leaves at least one student dead

Sad, too too sad, who should we blame for this again, the students, the school security officers that called the police, the school management or even the police that are suppose to protect life and now doing otherwise? Must somebody die anytime there is a protest? It always starts as a peaceful protest and within a twinkle of an eye, it goes crazy and what you hear is that somebody is dead. Just last weekend, the report was that 10 killed, 5 injured while 4 others were arrested in MASSOB demonstration in Anambra. Not as if am advocating that all of these protests are good here, but I will never subscribe to killing protesters either. 

The Engineering students of the University of Uyo this afternoon went for a peaceful demonstration to the office of the school's Vice Chancellor, Prof Comfort Ekpo, after the VC mandated students to pay N100 for the school bus which used to be free. The school management had shifted most of the Science student courses to the school's permanent site which is about 20 minutes drive from the main campus, and then made the shuttle N100. That means students will have to pay N200 to and fro everyday to the permanent campus for most of their lectures.

This was what the students were protesting this afternoon when things went crazy. The peaceful protest turned violent after security officials at the V.C's office tried to stop the students from gaining access to the Vice Chancellor.

The students allegedly retaliated by throwing stones at the security officials, who then called for police back-up which led to the riot. The police arrived the scene and aggravated the situation by firing shots at the students, killing at least one student. Some say two. Some say three.

Angry students now proceeded to burn down the VC's office, the exams and records building, and a security office. Students have been evacuated from the hostel, and the school has been shut down indefinitely.

No comments: